Saturday, June 18, 2005

Chicks Rock!

A short while back, I did a post on Women in Combat. (Click to read it).
It was a source of much discussion, as the six readers here are aware.

I guess this sums up my view: Women are very capable of being in combat, but shouldn't be in it anyway.

Of course, maybe her commrades would disagree with me!
This definitely show that capability and bravery aren't issues!

Click the link below to read the whole article about badass Sgt. Leigh Ann Hester.
(Fromwww.defenselink.mil) Here is an excerpt:

Woman Soldier Receives Silver Star for Valor in Iraq

WASHINGTON, June 16, 2005 For the first time since World War II, a woman soldier was awarded the Silver Star Medal today in Iraq.

Hester's squad was shadowing a supply convoy March 20 when anti-Iraqi fighters ambushed the convoy. The squad moved to the side of the road, flanking the insurgents and cutting off their escape route. Hester led her team through the "kill zone" and into a flanking position, where she assaulted a trench line with grenades and M203 grenade-launcher rounds. She and Nein, her squad leader, then cleared two trenches, at which time she killed three insurgents with her rifle.

Hester, who has been in the National Guard since April 2001, said she didn't have time to be scared when the fight started, and she didn't realize the impact of what had happened until much later.

"Your training kicks in and the soldier kicks in," she said. "It's your life or theirs. ... You've got a job to do -- protecting yourself and your fellow comrades."


WOW!

Badass...
Hero...
Chick... (And I mean that in a respectful, endearing way! Don't shoot me!)

Thank you Sgt. Hester. And congratulations! :)

Thank you to all our military, and all the military of other countries (yeah, that's you, Pool) dedicated fighting evil and spreading freedom. Y'all rock, too.

Hat tip to IMAO!

Word.

CUG

14 comments:

Mike -the independent observer said...

I love women like that, she rules!
Anyway, I think it's great that we have woman fighting for their country in our armed services and braving it out on the front. Why? Well their not only capable (as you've mentioned) but I also believe that by including them in combat we show the world that America is truly a nation out of many. Another fact is that we don't have as many men willing to do the same, so if our women want to duke it out, then lets let them and give 'em the opprotunity to prove their muscle.
I think you should use another template, this one seems a little barren. I think that template that looks like a "parchment scroll" (I don't remember its name) would be a good choice for your site.

Damian G. said...

I'm conflicted on the issue; I feel that as a rule the front-lines should be men-only, with exceptions on a case-by-case basis.

Happy Father's Day, CUG!!!
(Here's to hoping that the little bastards aren't too crazed.)

Dr. Phat Tony said...

I'm sorry, I still think that women on the front lines is wrong, regardless of how much a$$ this lady kicked. Only men should be made into killers, women really do need to be the more gentle sex to offset men's bloodlust. Also happy Father's Day Jimyb I thanked my Father today also.

mensabarbie said...

Article was excellent. I guess case by case rules. To think America once thought Florence Nightingale was daring, heh.

Karens Korner said...

Well,
I think women now days would not agree with me on this but,I raised five children.two boys, three girls.

there are some places I do not want my girls to be and one is on the battle field.

(please don't throw things at me!)

JebTexas said...

I think this was said on an older thread, but to restate: As long as the physical and mental requirements for elegibilty are the same for both sexes, more power to them! Unfortunately, the standards were significantly lowered in order to allow the percentages they wanted. I am refering to the infantry mostly, I guess. Other than that, how do the grunts feel about it? Do they like having the fairer sex with them in battle? I bet Sgt. Hester's squad would have an opinion! I DO beleive that the air forces will benefit from having women aboard, in all roles. To get in the infantry? Try humping a 90lb pack for a measely 30 mile 2 day outing. Good Luck! And if enough of your recruits can't DO that, then what? LOWER AWAY!

Dr. Phat Tony said...

As a former grunt having women in the unit would have been disastrous. 1 reason, men can't handle seeing a woman being hurt, and a woman would be an easy way to get information from men if ever captured. 2nd reason, men can't be men with women around, all though I am a killer, I tone it down alot when a woman is around. 3rd women are built differently I realize that in my prime in the army if there was a woman as fast as me she would not have been as strong as me, if she was as strong as me she would not have been as fast. women are just not built for it.

Deadpool said...

i actually spread evil and fight freedom but thx.

women can be allowed in combat but standards should not be compromised...the standard should however represent work in the field. not every last physically back breaking Platoon Raid possible...

we are no longer in WW2 or vietnam so the standard, she couldn't carry me if i was hurt doesn't apply anymore.

if she can ruck 13 km and still fire a weapon accurately, that's good enough for my battery.... with all the machismo that goes into log pt and stretcher pt i ask you this...when was the last time were at war with logs?

Dr. Phat Tony said...

I have to attack a stupid tree in the backyard every summer. It just doesn't know how to die no matter how I mutalate it.

JebTexas said...

Tony, I'm with you, bro. I know I would feel that way about 'em, I not sure how prevalent that attitude is. Anymore.

The Conservative UAW Guy said...

mike - Hey. Welcome to the site. I still have mixed feelings. There is part of me that thinks women should be protected and cherished at all costs.
Women and children first. And not the Van Halen album. I really feel that way. Oh, well. It's a good discussion point, anyway.

damian - Yeah, I have mixed feelings , too. Esp after that article this post talked about. Dang. Thanks for the happy F's day, too.

Doc - I'm still mostly in your camp, but... Thanks. Are you a father? Did I ask you that already? I really liked your father's day post.

mensa - good point. Interesting point on Florence! Nice to hear from you!

Karen's Korner - Howdy. Welcome back. I kind of agree with you on the girls thing. I definitely will NOT throw things at you!

Jeb - Sup? Well said. A lot of variables in this issue. I still hedge towards somewhere other than combat, but...

Doc - Wow. All good points. It would kill me to watch a woman being tortured. Just the thought disturbs me, quite honestly.

Pool - If you fight freedom, does that make you a freedom-fighter? Heh.
Did you say logs or blogs. I think I was in a blog battle once (but I lost... :-( )

Doc - Dang trees!

Jeb - We talkin' trees, or chicks?

Dr. Phat Tony said...

Only one person calls me daddy, and that's only when I ask her "Who's your daddy?"

The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Heh.
Good one.
We won't go any farther.

Dr. Phat Tony said...

I can say it different languages also. Multilingual dirty talk rocks.