Monday, July 03, 2006

Why? Why?

On my way home the other day, I caught a streak of yellow out of the corner of my eye.

It was a finch, and it just caught the top corner of my truck's winshield, launching upward in a not-so-graceful arc from its original, albeit unfortunate, path.

I saw it hit the ground at the berm of the road in my rear-view mirror.
I was saddened.

My first thougt was, why couldn't poor Mr. Finch have flown across the road 2 seconds earlier or later?

My next thought was, why couldn't that have been Noam Chomskey?
Or Jack Murtha, or Kennedy, or Moore?

Granted, the last two would have assuredly totalled my truck, but I'm insured, and would also be willing to sacrafice my truck for the good of the country in a case like that.

The saddest part of the whole ordeal?
Ohio finches are not only pretty, they are also notoriously conservative.

What a shame.