Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mr. Vanderboegh Speaks Up

Pretty eye-opening, and well-said, in my opinion.

“Choose this day whom you will serve.”: An Open Letter to American Law Enforcement.

I guess one of the more disconcerting things I've noticed over the last few years (and this is noted in Mike's essay) is the militarization of the police, along with the fact that few notice it, or if they do, they don't care. We have pretty much a standing army in our midst - armor, machine guns, sniper rifles, APV's, etc, etc. Look at the front of cop magazines, they're not "peace officers" anymore - they're "enforcers". And they damned sure look like soldiers.
That should worry leftist and righties alike.

And in the interest of full-disclosure, I have friends and relatives that are law-enforcement - and I worry about and for them. There is no doubt in my mind whose side they are on, but that doesn't mean their co-workers will all side with them if something big went down. And that could ultimately put them in harms way...

And an aside: Hell-o-Scan bit the dust, so I'm trying to restore Blogger-brand comments, with little luck so far. Email me if needbe (address is in my profile).

No comments: